Visa House Travels

Immigrant Visa/Permanent Residence Permit

Immigrant Visa/Permanent Residence Permit

Immigrant or Permanent Residence Documents and Conditions – this varies from country to country but they are almost likely asked for the same documentation with slightly different conditions. We would like to divide this into 3 sections namely 1, 2 and 3.


(1). All EU countries (2). Canada and, (3) USA 




  • You must have lived five uninterrupted years of residence in the X country with a residence permit
  • Five years of secure livelihood, including health insurance and social insurance (pension) contributions
  • Adequate living space for you and your family (at least 13 sqm per person)


All EU Countries Permanent Residence Required Documents

  1. A completed and signed copy of application form
  2. A copy of your passport and/or your national ID card
  3. An accurate passport-size photo
  4. Documentation that you have met the conditions for one or more types of grounds for residence under EU rules:


 As a worker – you need to provide documentation that you have met the conditions as a worker kindly, demonstrate this by including with your application – Your tax returns for the past five years

If you have been a self-employed person running your own business, you can supplement your tax returns with financial statements from your business, if your business’ income not otherwise appears in your personal tax returns

– Copies of the notice of termination and documentation that you registered with the job center (if you had periods of unemployment)



 As a student – documentation that you have met the conditions as a student you can submit the following:


– Your tax returns for the past five years

– Your studies papers for the last 5 years, copies of residence permit maintained through-out your studies period



 As self-supporting person – documentation that you have met the conditions as a self-supporting person (sufficient means), you can submit the following:

– Your tax returns for the past five years



Family member – documentation that you have met the conditions as a family member you can submit the following:


– Documentation that your family member has met one or more of the types of grounds for residence for at least five consecutive years

If your family member has proof of the right to permanent residence, under the residence directive, you need only submit documentation for this

If you have had other grounds for residence than those mentioned above, you must submit documentation for them. If your grounds for residence changed during your period of residence in the X country, you are asked to submit documentation for all of your grounds for residence.


  1. Police report and no criminal record – No matter what applies to your case, everyone needs to submit a police report, declaring that he or she is no a danger to the public and has no criminal records or incur any debts for the last 5 years prior to applying for permanent residence permit or card. 


What is a Canadian Permanent Resident? A permanent resident is someone who has been given permanent resident status by immigrating to Canada, but is not a Canadian citizen. Permanent residents are citizens of other countries. A person in Canada temporarily, like a student or foreign worker, is not a permanent resident.


There are two categories of people who can apply for Canada Permanent Residence. First, foreigners’ who are already living in Canada or in Canada these set of people will need to meet all the requirements listed above under Section 1. 


 The second set of people are foreign nationals who are outside Canada but wish to be granted Canada Permanent Residence from their respective home countries in order for them to immigrate to Canada either alone or with their families and settle in Canada. These set of people can apply from their home countries through:


Express Entry


What Is Express Entry?

In January 2015, the Canadian government launched a new electronic immigration system that offers express entry to Canada for skilled and qualified immigrants. The new Express Entry program will manage applications for permanent residence for immigrants who can fill jobs where there is a lack of available skilled Canadian workers. (


The Express Entry program will also allow individual provinces and territories to use the system in order to recruit suitable candidates as part of the Provincial Nominee Programs so that labor market demands are met.

Employers plays a key part in selecting economic immigrants, and will be able to access suitable candidates via Canada’s recently improved Job Bank, as well as the relevant provinces and territories where applicable.


How Express Entry Works:


Step 1: Potential candidates fill out an online Express Entry form.

Candidates who are eligible for the Express Entry Canada program can complete an online profile which will include various details about themselves, including their skills, their language ability, education and previous work experience, among others. Candidates who successfully meet the criteria of one or more of the federal economic immigration programs under Express Entry will then be sorted into a pool of eligible individuals. These individuals will be ranked according to their chances of economic success, and the highest-ranking candidates, along with those who have qualifying offers of employment or provincial/territorial nominations (who will automatically receive high rankings), will receive a formal invitation to apply for permanent residency. This way of doing things will allow Canada to pick the best possible candidates who are likely to go on to achieve success, rather than simply picking whoever is next in line. Candidates who do not have a valid job offer or provincial/territorial nomination must sign up to the Government’s of Canada’s Job Bank, so that he or she can be connected to relevant Canadian employers. Eligible employers will need to obtain a Labor Market Impact Assessment via Employment and Social Development Canada for permanent residence applications. There is no guarantee that candidates who fill out an Express Entry profile will be invited to apply for permanent residence, as this will mainly be determined by their ranking and the other factors mentioned above (offer of employment, provincial/territorial nomination).


Step 2: The Government will invite successful candidates and permanent residency will be processed within 6 months.

Those ranking highly in the pool (based on skills, experience, eligible job offers and relevant nominations where applicable) will then be invited to apply for permanent residency through an ITA (Invitation to Apply), and will have a total of 60 days to submit their electronic application. Electronic applications will be required to be submitted through one of the below programs: 

Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) 

Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) 

Canadian Experience Class (CEC) 

Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) 


Most applications will be pushed through swiftly by CIC, with many expected to be completed within six months. Candidates who have applied for the Express Entry Canada program but who are not invited to apply for permanent residency after a year may then resubmit their profile and re-enter the pool, provided they are still eligible for the program. This is to prevent backlogs and allow for quicker processing and turnaround times


Receiving an ITA (Invitation to Apply)

After you have successfully filling out an Express Entry Form to be eligible in an Express Entry pool, foreigners will wait to receive an ITA. Each draw whether it is through a PNP or Express Entry will have a minimum CRS score and those with a ranking CRS score higher than the published one, will receive an invitation. Once one has received an ITA, there is a 60-day period where you must apply and submit all the required supporting documents to become a permanent resident. There are documents and following steps after receiving an invitation to apply including a chance to deny the ITA.


Who is Eligible for Express Entry?

Determining whether you can apply under the Express Entry System can be confusing, but here are some of the basics.

According to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), Express Entry is a system put in place to “manage applications for permanent residence under these federal economic immigration programs.” These economic immigration programs include the Federal Skilled Workers Program, the Federal Skilled Trades Program, and the Canada Experience Class. Requirements for eligibility vary depending on the class you wish to apply under, though for all programs you must be legally admissible to Canada and be intending to live in a province or territory other than Quebec. Candidates also have to achieve a minimum score on the Comprehensive Ranking System. Points can be scored based on ageeducationlanguage ability, certifications, and Canadian and non-Canadian work experience.

Here are some of the major requirements for each of the three economic programs:


  1. Federal Skilled Workers Program

As CIC explains, if you’re hoping to become a permanent resident through the Federal Skilled Workers Program, you must first meet the minimum requirements for work experience, language ability, and education.


Work Experience must be a year of full-time or equivalent part-time paid work in the same job within the last 10 years, and the job must be of skill type 0 or skill levels A or B of the 2011 National Occupational Classification. 


The Language Requirements include proof of Canadian Language Benchmark 7 in the form of CIC-approved language test results from within the last two years. 


For Education applicants need either a Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree, or a completed foreign credential and an assessment of that credential from a CIC-approved agency that shows that the completed education is equivalent to a comparable Canadian credential.

Applications are also assessed based on federal skilled worker points. CIC will assign points based on the following factors:

Skills in English and/or French


Work experience


presence/absence of a valid job offer, and the applicant’s perceived adaptability to live in Canada. Furthermore, applicants need to be able to prove that they have sufficient funds to support themselves and their family, unless they can already legally work in or have a valid job offer from an employer in Canada.


  1. Federal Skilled Trades Program

According to Citizenship and Immigration Canada, skilled workers for the Federal Skilled Trades Program must fulfill minimum work experience and language ability requirements.


Work experience must include at least two years of full-time work experience (or equivalent part-time work experience) within the last five years in a skilled trade. Applicants must also show that they have experience performing the duties for an eligible skilled trade outlined by the National Occupation Classification (NOC) in Major Group 72, 72, 82, or 92, or Minor Group 632 or 633.


Language ability scores can be lower than those for the skilled workers program: Canadian Language Benchmark 5 for speaking and listening, and Canadian Language Benchmark 4 for reading and writing. Satisfactory results from a CIC-approved language test are also required.


Applicants must also have either an offer of full-time employment for a full year minimum or be certified in their skilled trade by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority. Individual provinces /territories have specific requirements regarding trades qualifications and the process for assessment, so finding out how the program works in the province/territory where you wish to live is important.


  1. Canada Experience Class

To be eligible under the Canada Experience Class, CEC specifies that you must meet the minimum work experience and language ability requirements.


Minimum work experience is 12 months of skilled work experience (or equivalent part-time) in Canada, with the proper authorization, within the three years prior to applying for CEC. This work must fit the requirements of the National Occupation Classification for one of the following: managerial jobs (NOC skill level 0), professional jobs (NOC skill type A), or technical jobs and skilled trades (NOC skill type B). The applicant must also be able to demonstrate that their work experience includes having fulfilled the duties detailed by the NOC. Minimum language levels are Canadian Language Benchmark 7 for NOC 0 or A jobs or Canadian Language Benchmark 5 for NOC B jobs, with results proven by a CIC-approved language test.


How are Express Entry Points Calculated to Determine a CRS Score?

The Comprehensive Ranking System ranks eligible candidates for immigration to Canada through Express Entry. Points are given within the following categories: 


  1. Age

The maximum an individual can be awarded when it comes to age is 100 points (with a spouse or common-law partner), or 110 points (without a spouse or common-law partner. In order to achieve the maximum number of points in each category, you have to be in the age bracket of 20 – 29 years old. The minimum number of points that can be awarded for age apply to those who are under 17 years of age, or over 45 (both 0 points). For those between the ages of 17 and 45, the number of points awarded varies across the age spectrum, peaking at ages 20 – 29. In order to see where you fall, take a look at the full table here.


  1. Level of Education

The maximum you can be awarded for your education level is 150 points, which applies to a university-level credential at the Doctoral level, and without a spouse or common-law partner (with, you’d be awarded 140). Let’s look at how the points vary for those without a spouse or common-law partner (for those with spouses, points awarded are slightly less)

– Less than secondary or high school equivalent: 0 point

Secondary school or high school equivalent: 30 points
-One-year post-secondary program credential: 90 points
-Two-year post-secondary program credential: 98 points
-Post-secondary program credential of 3+ years: 120 points
-Two or more post-secondary program credentials, at least one of which lasting 3+ years: 128 points
-Master’s level university credential, or an entry-to-practice professional degree for an occupation a) listed at NOC Level A, and b) requires licensing by a provincial regulatory body: 135 points
– University-level credential at the Doctoral level: 150 points


  1. Official Language Proficiency

Language ability is split into four subcategories: reading, writing, talking and listening. The maximum number of points awarded for each of these subcategories is 32 (with a spouse or common-law partner) or 34 (without a spouse or common-law partner).

So, when each of these sub-categories are added up, the maximum number of points an individual can be awarded is 128 (with a spouse or common-law partner) and 136 (without a spouse or common-law partner).

Points are awarded based on CLB level, with CLB 4 or less being awarded 0 points. Those who have achieved CLB 10 or higher are awarded the maximum number of 32/34 points (depending on whether you have a spouse or common-law partner).

Second Official Language

For second official language proficiency, the sub-categories are the same as above, with the maximum number of points being 22/24. You will be awarded 6 points for each sub-category, with the total number of points being capped at 22 if you have a spouse or common-law partner (you will be awarded the maximum 24 points if you do not).


  1. Canadian Work Experience

The maximum points you can be awarded for Canadian work experience is 70 (with a spouse/common-law partner) and 80 (without a spouse/common-law partner) for five years or more. Let’s take a look at how the points system works for those without a spouse or common-law partner:

Less than a year: 0 points

1 year: 40 points

2 years: 53 points

3 years: 64 points

4 years: 72 points

5 years or more: 80 points

That brings us to the end of this subsection. The maximum number of points you can score for this section are: 460 points (with a spouse/common-law partner) and 500 points (without a spouse/common-law partner)

Spouse or common-law factors (if applicable)

Now, we’re aware not everyone has a spouse or common-law partner, so if this doesn’t apply to you, feel free to skip the following subsections entirely. If it does, then read on:


  1. Spouse/Common-Law Partner’s Level of Education

Points awarded for this category range from 0 -10. The maximum-level categories are Master’s Degree university level, and university-credential at Doctoral level, both 10 points. To see how your spouse/common-law partner would rank, check the CIC table.

Spouse/Common-Law Partner’s Official Languages Proficiency

Again, the official languages proficiency section is split into four different categories: reading, writing, talking and listening. For each sub-category, your spouse/common-law partner can be awarded up to five points, with a maximum score of 20 points.

Spouse/Common-Law Partner’s Canadian Work Experience

The maximum number of points your spouse/common-law partner can be awarded for this section is 10 points, which applies to five years or more Canadian work experience. Points awarded are as follows:

Less than a year: 0 points

1 year: 5 points

2 years: 7 points

3 years: 8 points

4 years: 9 points

5+ years: 10 points

The maximum number of points your spouse/common-law partner can score for this section is 40 points, taking your maximum total up to 500 points (core/human capital factors + spouse/common-law partner factors).


How Much Money Do I Need for Express Entry?

If you are invited to apply for Express Entry then you must have written proof that you have the money required for you and any family members you intend on bringing to Canada.

Number of family members

Funds required (in Canadian dollars)

Family Member of 1 = $12,960

Family Member of 2 = $16,135

Family Member of 3 = $19,836

Family Member of 4 = $24,083

Family Member of 5 = $27,315

Family Member of 6 = $30,806

Family Member of 7 = $34,299


For Each Additional Family Members


Express Entry Fees

New fee effective April 30, 2020 ($CAN)

Your Application: Processing fee and Right of Permanent Resident Fee


Your Application (without Right of Permanent Resident Fee


Include your spouse or partner: Processing fee and Right of Permanent Residence fee


Include your spouse or partner (without Right of Permanent Residence fee


Include a dependent child

$225 per child

Right of Permanent Residence fee (may be paid at a later date)






  1. Language:Did you know that language ability is worth up to 260 CRS points in total for a single candidate? French and English are Canada’s official languages so take a French class and learn both to gain more points. Extra points are accumulated for each improvement in test results across the four language abilities (speaking, listening, reading, writing), but the magic threshold is when a candidate achieves a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level of 9 in each ability.  If you ever studied French at school, or otherwise have a decent knowledge of the language, it may be wise to consider preparing to take the Test d’évaluation du français (TEF).
  2. Work:Although Canadian work experience is more valued than non-Canadian work experience, if you have less than three years of full-time experience, keep working! The goal of remaining in employment is even more acute for candidates currently working in Canada on a work permit because more points are available for this work and it is rewarded for each annual threshold up to five years. Just make sure that if you are working in Canada, you maintain legal work status the entire time.
  3. Study:Come study in Canada before applying for Express Entry! Having Canadian study experience can significantly increase your score.
  4. Education:If you have two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees you may be able to claim extra points under the education section. Furthermore, completing an additional level of education can also be beneficial. Some candidates are only a few courses or months away from completing a degree, diploma or certificate that, when assessed, would help to improve their ranking under the CRS.
  5. Spouse:Candidates with a spouse, however, may have additional potential for improving their CRS score because the spouse’s level of education, language ability, and Canadian work experience may all be rewarded. You can add up to 20 points to your CRS through your partner’s first language scores. You can add up to 10 points to your CRS score by getting ECA done for your partner’s education.
  6. Provincial Nominee Programs:If you want a 600-point boost to your CRS score, plus the knowledge that you are being welcomed with open arms into your chosen destination province, it’s time to learn about the Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs). A nomination from one of the provinces under Express Entry Provincial Nominee Programs adds 600 additional points to your overall CRS and in most cases will secure you an ITA in the next draw. It’s important to display your full education and work record, stay up to date on Canadian immigration news, and have all your documents ready and reviewed in preparation to make an application promptly. PNP categories often open and close quickly, sometimes within days or even hours.
  7. Job Offer:While the relative value of a qualifying job offer is not as great as it once was – in most cases, down to 50 CRS points from a previous value of 600 points – obtaining a job offer remains an important factor. If you are not currently in Canada, obtaining a job offer can be difficult, but there are plenty of online resources where you may find employment opportunities.
  8. Getting Help: Do you need assistance in preparing an application for Canadian permanent residence? If so, let us know and we will schedule an appointment for you with one of our Immigration Expert Teams in helping you in this regard. 


NOTE: At VISA HOUSE TRAVELS AGENTS we will help you figure out your CRS score, which is used to rank your profile in the Express Entry pool. The Comprehensive Ranking System Score is used in every Express Entry draw. You will want to calculate your CRS score before applying for Express Entry to determine your eligibility. A thorough-read-through and, brilliant digest of our materials should give you an Insight on if you are eligible for an Express Entry at a particular time or not. If afterwards, you still seemed confused then you can contact us through our email and, please, write in details what you seem confused on? Our Immigration Professionals, Lawyers and Expert Teams will go through your case and, advise you on how to improve your score or find out which programs you qualify for. If you want to improve your CRS score to get picked for an Express Entry draw there are several ways you can! 


Proof of Funds

You must be able to have the required amount above readily available for you. This means that you can not use equity on real estate or borrow money from another person.

If your spouse is coming with you, you can count money you have together in a joint account.

For proof, you must get official letters from any banks or financial institutions where you’re keeping money.

  1. Letter(s) must
  2. Be printed on the financial institution’s letterhead
  3. Include their contact information (address, telephone number and email address)
  4. Include your name
  5. List outstanding debts such as credit card debts and loans

include, for each current bank and investment account, the account numbers

date each account was opened

  1. Current balance of each account
  2. Average balance for the past 6 months




Who Administrates the Express Entry?

The government of Canada conducts the Express Entry draws. The branch of government that handles Express Entry is the IRCC. The IRCC stands for Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship Canada.  


What’s the Difference Between CIC and IRCC?

The IRCC (Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship Canada) replaced the CIC in 2015. There is no difference between the two except the name. The CIC is now called the IRCC.


Can I Bring My Family with Me Under Express Entry?

Express Entry applicants can bring their spouse or common-law partners and dependent children with them to Canada. You must claim the family members you want to bring with you to Canada on your Express Entry application.


Can My Spouse Work Under My Express Entry?

If you claimed your spouse as a dependent on your application for Express Entry then they are also Permanent Residents of Canada! They do not need a work visa to work in Canada as a permanent resident.


How We Can Help You Get into Express Entry

The most important aspect of the Express Entry Program is to provide complete and accurate information/documentation and get an ITA. Without an invitation, you are unable to apply for permanent residence through the Express Entry Program. In order to receive an invitation, you have to be selected from a pool of applicants who are competing for an invitation.


Our job at Visa House Travels is to make your profile ”STAND OUT” from the crowd. We will assess your case, highlight the best aspects of your application, and make sure that you have obtained the highest eligible score! This way, your chances of getting an invitation are maximized.


In addition, if you are selected, we are there to assist you with the complicated application process, including submitting your application in a timely manner for you to obtain your Canadian Permanent Residence.

USA Green Card or Permanent Resident 

The term GREEN CARD is also known as ‘‘Permanent Resident Card’‘ under the U.S Immigration rules and laws terminology. 

What is a Green Card/Permanent Resident Card? This allows you to live and work permanently in the United States. The steps you must take to apply for a Green Card will vary depending on your individual situation.

To apply for A Green Card/ Permanent Resident Card this can be done in a few ways listed below with each way explained as a sub-heading. 

– Green Card through Family 

– Green Card through Employment 

– Green Card as a Special Immigrant

A. S.A Green Card/ Permanent Residence Card through Family

You may be eligible to apply If you are:


a) An immediate relative of a U.S. citizen

 You are a spouse of a U.S. citizen 

– You are an unmarried child under the age of 21 of a U.S. citizen

– You are a parent of a U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years old



As a Spouse, you need to provide a marriage certificate and every other relevant document to justify your claims.

As an Unmarried Child of a U.S citizen, you need to provide a birth certificate and other documents to prove your biological relation to the U.S citizen

As a Parent of a U.S citizen, you need to provide proofs and, in some cases, DNA might be required.


b) Other relatives of a U.S. citizen or relative of a lawful permanent resident under the family-based preference categories

– A family member of a U.S. citizen, meaning: 

  • You are unmarried son or daughter of a U.S. citizen and you are 21 years old or older 
  • You are a married son or daughter of a U.S. citizen 
  • You are a brother or sister of a U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years old


– As an unmarried son or daughter of a U.S citizen, you need to provide family relations documents, the same thing applies to both if you are a married son or daughter of a U.S citizen or brother or sister of a U.s citizen. Please, provide the following documents:

  • Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status;
  • Copy of the Form I-797, Approval or Receipt Notice, for the Form I-130 petition filed on your behalf. This is unless you are filing Form I-485 together with the Form I-130);
  • Two passport-style photographs;
  • Copy of your government-issued identity document with photograph;
  • Copy of your birth certificate;
  • Copy of your passport page with non-immigrant visa (if applicable);
  • Copy of your passport page with your admission or parole stamp (if applicable);
  • Copy of Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record or copy of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) admission or parole stamp on the travel document (if applicable)  

c) A family member of a lawful permanent resident, meaning:

  • You are a Spouse of a lawful permanent resident  
  • You are an unmarried child under the age of 21 of a lawful permanent resident
  • You are an unmarried son or daughter of a lawful permanent resident 21 years old or older


Family relations documents with convincing proofs, and paper works. The same documents as listed above. Slightly different for Spouse’s application.

d) Spouse of a U.S citizen should provide the following:

  • If your wife or husband holds permanent resident status in the U.S, you should please provide— a copy of  his/her permanent residency card
  • If  your wife or husband is an American citizen through naturalization— please, provide a copy of this certification
  • If your wife or husband is an American citizen by birth— please, provide a certified copy of full birth certificate OR all pages of U.S. passport.

For yourself please provide: 

  • Copy of your birth certificate
  • Copy of all your passport pages
  • Copy of I-94

Additional documents: 

  • Check made out to the Department for Homeland Security for the application fee
  • Certified copy of marriage certificate
  • 6 original passport-style photos of the beneficiary. Photos must be taken within 30 days of the filing date, with the name printed on the back of each photo
  • 2 original passport-style photos of your U.S citizen wife/husband
  • Copies of 3 most recent tax returns with W-2s / paystubs OR official IRS transcripts from your U.S citizen wife/husband.
  • Employment letter copy from your U.S citizen wife/husband employer 
  • Your U.S citizen wife/husband driver’s licenses with matching addresses
  • Your U.S citizen wife/ husband most recent bank statement with both spouses’ names
  • Copy of property registered in your U.S citizen wife’s / husband’s names
  • Lease or mortgage with both you and your U.S citizen wife/husband signatures on it if you both have a lease agreement together (rent an apartment together in Nigeria or anywhere else in the world)
  • Utility bills with both you and your U.S citizen wife/husband names and matching address
  • Insurance policies with both you and your U.S citizen wife/ husband names
  • Receipts for expensive items you both purchased together
  • Affidavits from friends, family, and colleagues that can confirm that you are truly married, but just a bogus wedding
  • Envelopes and letters from family regarding knowledge of marriage

NOTE: If your U.S citizen wife/husband was previously married, you also need to provide with other documents listed above — 

  • A certified copy of divorce documents or spouse’s death certificate should case your U.S citizen previous partner is deceased

Medical examination for yourself

Before you can submit your application, you need to visit a doctor to verify that you are healthy. The exam results are usually valid for 12 months. You will want to schedule the exam as close as possible to the date you plan to file the application.

e). Fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen or the fiancé(e)’s child

  • You are a person admitted to the U.S. as a fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen (K-1 nonimmigrant)  
  • You are a person admitted to the U.S. as the child of a fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen (K-2 nonimmigrant)


  • Paper works on your fiancé current status in the U.S
  • A police report with no criminal records
  • Refer to ”Additional Documents” listed above and provide relevant ones pertaining your application.

f) Widow(er) of a U.S. citizen

If you are a widow or widower of a U.S. citizen and you were married to your U.S. citizen spouse at the time your spouse died


  • A marriage certificate
  • Death certificate
  • Other relevant certificates to justify your claims 
  • Evidence that you were not divorced or legally separated from your spouse at the time he or she died
  • Evidence to prove that you were in a bona fide marital relationship until the  time of your spouse’s death
    Are admissible to the United States
g) VAWA self-petitioner– victim of battery or extreme cruelty
  • You are an abused spouse of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident  
  • You are an abused child (unmarried and under 21 years old) of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident  
  • You are an abused parent of a U.S. citizen 


  • Documents proving your relationship to the U.S citizen
  • Evidence of the abuse – such as police report, media prints and,
  • Every other convincing document available at your disposal to support your claims that you have been abused 

B. U.S.A Green Card/ Permanent Residence Card through Employment

a) Immigrant worker

Under the U.S Immigration laws, this is classified into preferences order, namely: the first preference immigrant worker,  the second preference immigrant worker and the third preference immigrant worker – please, check under the category that best suits your profile 

If you are a first preference immigrant worker, meaning:

  • You have an extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics
  • You are an outstanding professor or a researcher 
  • You are a multinational manager or executive who meets certain criteria 


  • Educational Documentation 
  • Awards Recognition 
  • CV with references from an Internationally recognized organization
  • Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status;
  • Copy of the Form I-797, Approval or Receipt Notice, for the Form I-140 filed on your behalf. This is unless you are filing your Form I-485 together with the Form I-140;
  • Form I-485 Supplement J, to confirm that the job offered to you in Form I-140 remains a bona fide job offer that you intend to accept once your Form I-485 is approved.
  • Copy of your passport page with nonimmigrant visa (if applicable);
  • Copy of your birth certificate;
  • Copy of your government-issued identity document with photograph;
  • Two passport-style photographs;

If you are a second preference immigrant worker, meaning:
  • You are a member of a profession that requires an advanced degree or  
  • You have an exceptional ability in the sciences, arts, or business, or  
  • You are seeking a national interest waiver 


Same documents as listed above under Immigrant Worker

  • If you are a third preference immigrant worker, meaning:
  • You are a skilled worker (meaning your job requires a minimum of 2 years training or work experience), or  
  • you are a professional (meaning your job requires at least a U.S. bachelor’s degree or a foreign equivalent and you are a member of the profession), or  
  • you are an unskilled worker (meaning you will perform unskilled labor requiring less than 2 years of training or experience)


Same documents as listed above under Immigrant Worker

b) Physician National Interest Waiver

If you are a physician who agrees to work full-time in clinical practice in a designated underserved area for a set period of time and also meets other eligibility requirements 


  • You must provide evidence that you have agreed to work full-time in a clinical practice. For most physician NIW cases, the required period of service is 5 years
  • You must work in a primary care (such as a general practitioner, family practice petitioner, general internist, pediatrician, obstetrician/gynecologist, or psychiatrist) or be a specialty physician
  • You must serve either in a Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA), Mental Health Professional Area (MHPSA – for psychiatrists only), a Medically Underserved Area (MUA), or a Veterans Affairs facility, or for specialists in a Physician Scarcity Area (PSA)
  • You must obtain a statement from a federal agency or a state department of health that has knowledge of your qualifications as a physician and that states your work is in the public interest (This statement is known as an attestation)
c) Immigrant investor

If you have invested or you are actively in the process of investing at least $1. 8 million (or $900,000 in a targeted employment area -rural area) of your money without borrowing, in a new commercial enterprise in the U.S. which will create full-time positions for at least 10 qualifying employees  within two years but not including investor’s spouse, children or relative.Immigrant investor visa categories are:

  • Employment creation outside a targeted area – C5
  • Employment creation in a targeted rural/high unemployment area – T5
  • Investor Pilot Program not in a targeted area – R5
  • Investor Pilot Program in a targeted area – I5 


  • Passport(s) valid for six months beyond the intended date of entry into the United States, unless longer validity is specifically requested by the U.S. Embassy/Consulate in your country. Please review the instructions for guidance.
  • Form DS-260, Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration Application.
  • Two (2) 2×2 photographs.
  • Civil Documents for the applicant. See Documents the Applicant Must Submit for more specific information about documentation requirements, including information on which documents may need to be translated. The consular officer may ask for more information during your visa interview. Bring your original civil documents (or certified copies) such as birth and marriage certificates, as well as legible photocopies of the original civil documents, and any required translations to your immigrant visa interview. Original documents and translations can then be returned to you.
  • Financial Support – At your immigrant visa interview, you must demonstrate to the consular officer that you will not become a public charge in the United States.
  • Completed Medical Examination Forms – These are provided by the panel physician after you have completed your medical examination and vaccinations

C. U.S.A Green Card/ Permanent Residence Card through Special Immigrant

a) Religious Worker

If you are a member of a religious denomination coming to the U.S. to work for a nonprofit religious organization


  • A valid determination letter from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) establishing the church in the U.S and must be a tax-exempt
  • Documentation that establishes the religious nature and purpose of the organization, such as a copy of the organizing instrument that specifies the purposes of the organization.
  • Organizational literature, such as books, articles, brochures, calendars, flyers, and other literature describing the religious purpose and nature of the activities of the organization.
  • A Prospective Employer Attestation form and certification completed, signed, and dated by an authorized official of the prospective employer of the beneficiary seeking religious worker status.
  • Verifiable evidence of how the prospective employer (church) intends to compensate you (the beneficiary), including salaried or non-salaried compensation
  • Evidence to establish that you are qualified as a religious worker to perform the duties of the offered position
  • You must provide proof to show that you are a member of a religious denomination that has a bona fide non-profit religious organization in the United States for at least two years before filing Form I-360
  • Please, provide evidence to proof that you have been working continuously for the past two years immediately prior to filing the immigrant petition: as a religious minister; in a religious vocation in either a professional or non-professional capacity; or in a religious occupation in either a professional or nonprofessional capacity; and 
  • Evidence to proof that you are seeking to enter the United States solely to work as a minister or in the religious vocation or occupation of your employer’s denomination.

Refusals and Appeals

Sometimes even if the visa application and all documents are correct, the visa is not granted. One of the privileges is the possibility to appeal the case. At Visa House Travels we have partnered with lawyers at HAVILAH LAW FIRM to be able to assess your case and, give you the most effective legal advice. If you believe that your visa application was refused unlawfully our legal team will assess your case and, present you with most suitable solutions and explanations. If appealing your case will be our recommendation, our legal team will represent you in court. To assess your case please contact us on and:
  • attach refusal note and state refused application number
  • explain in the e-mail body why in your opinion your visa was refused and why do you want to appeal
  • in the e-mail subject write: appeal and your name

How To Start

Welcome to Visa House Travels!

We are here to help you achieve your goal of getting your dream visa in an easy to follow process!

1.     The most important step is to determine what type of visa do you need. Please take your time to read VISA TYPE AND DOCUMENTS section on our website.
It will help you to understand visa differences or double check your visa choice.

2.     Contact us on to request most up to date application form. Don’t forget to mention the type of application you need as well as reason for your travel and destination.

3.     Read all the tips on how to fill the form. FILLING THE APPLICATION FORM

4.     Fill the forms, gather needed documents and upload it using UPLOAD THE APPLICATION section

5.     We will give you our feedback on what to change or add.

6.     When you adjust the documents in line with our suggestions re-upload your application as every application has 2 revision rounds. For travel booking tips go through TRAVEL BOOKING SECTION

7.     We will give you feedback or green light. Please make sure you apply our feedback before submitting your documents to the embassy.

8.      You are ready to get your visa, submit the all documents to the embassy (use our CHECKLIST to make sure you have everything)

9.     Prepare for interview using our VISA INTERVIEW tips

We are here for you, if you have additional questions check our FAQ or contact us on:



Instagram: @visa_house_travels

WhatsApp: +234 802 447 1435


Alternatively, Please Download our Checklist to ensure you have everything you need.

Building Travel History

Travel history is a track record of a traveler/visitor past visits to outside of their home country. Whenever someone visits a foreign country than he/she got an immigration stamp or a visa stamp on their passport, these records of stamps on the passport is called travel history. Travel history tells about all the recent visits of passport holder such as where and when they travel.

If you have recently been refused a visa because of a lack of travel experience or history, then understanding

TRAVEL HISTORY might be of help to you. The concept of having a travel history differs from embassy to embassy.

Visa Officers in the U.S. Embassy, would like to know if you have any travel experience. Mostly they do want to see in your passport that you have traveled previously to Europe or other developed Western and North American countries such as any of the Schengen countries, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, Switzerland, Japan or South Korea; because these countries have similar economies and living conditions as the US. Also, more importantly, they have similar immigration standards.
TIP: If you are refused a US visa and you suspect (or guessed) travel history was the main problem, do not waste your resources traveling to UAE, South Africa, Singapore, Malaysia, or China only to gain travel experience. You need to have some travel to Europe and other developed western countries to justify your travel history.


Canada’s immigration has one of the trickier definitions of travel history. To them, travel history falls into 2 main categories

– those with no travel history based on the US embassy’s definition of travel history

– those with travel history but applying for a visa to travel for the wrong purpose.

In other words, if you are refused a visa by the Canadian High Commission because of a lack of travel history, it might be because you have none. But if you have travel history to US, UK, Germany, etc. and was still refused, the reason might be because even though you are traveling for say a conference, business or tour, their checks might have revealed that you have not in the past traveled for a conference, business or tour.

TIP: Always be accurate with your travel purpose because a negative background check might affect you visa approval.


Travel history according to UK immigration is the easiest among the embassies. Their criteria for showing travel history is that you can show ”a pattern of traveling outside of your country of residence”. TIP: If you are refused a UK visa because of travel history (very rare), try traveling. Anywhere will do.


Since all Schengen embassies use similar immigration standards to issue visas, we will talk about them as one collective group. Their travel history definition can be what the US, Canadian or British embassies require, but most frequent travels outside your country of residence will be enough. So, when a Schengen embassy notices you have visas to Dubai, South Africa, UK, another Schengen country, US, Canada, etc, they are less inclined to refuse your application because they are not certain of your intention to leave the Schengen territory after your intended visit.
TIP: If your travel history does not include a western country, you should have undertaken some of those trips often.
You will notice from reading all, that satisfying travel history requirements by the Canadian High Commission are the hardest, followed by the US consulate, the Schengen embassies, and lastly the UK High Commission. So, you really do not need to worry about travel history when applying for a UK visa unless the entry clearance officer refuses your application for visa citing this as one of the reasons.


You build your travel history by traveling. And a systematic plan of travels over a period of time will increase your chances of getting any visa you apply for. You can start first withVISA-FREE COUNTRIES, and proceed to VISA ON ARRIVAL COUNTRIES and then NONE WESTERN COUNTRIES before venturing/applying for either US, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Schengen Countries visas.
VISA-FREE TRAVEL is the ability to visit a country without having to complete lengthy visa procedures. Nationals of a country can travel visa-free to another country if the governments of the two countries signed an agreement to that effect, or if the receiving country unilaterally opened its borders.



Burkina Faso


Cape Verde


Cote d’Ivoire












Niger Republic


Sierra Leone



VISA ON ARRIVAL (VoA) is also a visa, this is a visa stamp that is usually affixed into your passport upon your arrival in some specific countries at the point of entry. In most cases, you would get the visa at the arrival airport rather than from the consulate in your home country. Visa on Arrival is also sometimes referred to as Visa upon Arrival or Landing Visa. Since Visa on Arrival is also a visa, you would need to have all the required documents as a regular visa. A Visa on Arrival can also be denied just like a regular visa, so you must have a backup plan in such a case.






Comoros Island















Sri Lanka





It is obvious that some visas are more accessible than the other but with careful planning and organization, your travel history will make you one step closer to achieve your goal.

Tips for Travel Booking

We know that booking a hotel and a flight not knowing if the visa will be granted can be confusing. That is why we want to provide you the reasons behind this requirement as well as give you the tips to book your flight and accommodation without stress of losing your money if visa is not granted.

Let’s start with frequently asked questions when it comes to travel bookings for visa application.

Do I need to purchase a flight ticket before applying for a visa? Will I lose a lot of money if I book a flight and hotel and my visa application is rejected or denied?

No. you DO NOT need to buy a full flight ticket or pay hotel reservations before applying for your visa.

Embassies and Consulate officials do not recommend that you make any full payments or payments at all before your visa is issued or granted.

Instead, officials will want a reservation/itinerary with dates and flights number specifying entry date and exit date from the country you plan to visit or the host country. Some embassies will accept flight itinerary when applying for a visa but may request the original air ticket when the visa is collected.

Why embassy or consulate ask for these documents while applying for visa?

These documents serve as proof that you will not be overstaying – why?  The main reason why the embassy or the consulate of your travel destination country asks you for proof of a round-trip flight reservation is that they want to make sure you will not overstay your visa and will get back to your home country before it expires.

Since a round-trip reservation shows the departure and arrival to your home country, this is a convincing document that you will return.

This means you have to book a round trip flight reservation because otherwise, your reservation would be meaningless.


Another reason embassy asks for this is to decide the length of your visa. The officials at the embassy or consulate where you are applying at will decide on the length of your visa based on the Itinerary Flight so that you can get granted with a visa that allows you to stay at your destination country for as long as you need to, and not for a shorter period.


A flight reservation is a document of a detailed plan of your flight or travel journey to a specific country.

In fact, it is only a flight/travel timetable on the chosen flight airline, comprised of a flight name, traveler’s name, a valid flight reservation booking number, arrival, and departure date, and airport IATA codes.


A flight itinerary for a visa is a detailed route of your flight. It includes information such as flight name, your full names,  departure/arrival timings along with dates, flight code, departure/arrival airport IATA





There are ways to make flight bookings for visa applications without payment and, no embassy expects you to purchase a flight or hotel bookings payment before you can apply for a visa. So, how can you make flight bookings without payment? We are going to explain the careful steps in the following below. 


NOTE: Should case, you follow the careful steps first on your own but still cannot book your flight bookings and hotel bookings then, don’t hesitate to send us an email or be in touch to our customer’s care department for further help or guides on how to complete the process.



1. Go to any of these airline websites KLM, Ethiopian Airlines, Emirates, or Turkish Airlines just to mention a few or any other airline that operates on your destinationNoteHowever, please remember that low-cost airlines usually don’t have the option of ticket reservation.


2. After landing on the airline’s website of your choice, choose a destination ( suitable for your case, let’s say your plan is to travel to London, then you choose London UK and key in your travel dates)


3. Choose a suitable ticket taking into account the price, departure time – This must align with your travel plan dates-  the number of stops, travel duration, etc.


4. Fill out the information about the passenger: your Information Very Important

Choose flight insurance if necessary (optional) but NOTE: We do not recommend this because it might attract a token fee but you have the choice to make on your own.


5. On the booking payment section, choose the option reserve now and pay later OR the option pays through the bank.

NOTE: No Embassy expects you to actually make any flight payment or buy a flight ticket before your visa is Issued and, that is why we are recommending that you should choose the option reserve now and pay later or pay through the bank. Consular only want to see your flight booking details such as your full names, date of birth, flight number, booking confirmation number, airline name, departure date, and return date


6. Click “Book a flight” and a confirmation email will be sent to you with the details.


7. Now you need to print the ticket and take it with you to the embassy to apply for a visa. Keep in mind that you need to cut out the part where it says “The order must be paid before — (Your local time). WHY? Because it is not needed for your visa application.



  1. Go to choose the city (in our case, let’s say London), pick the dates (approximately 2-3 weeks from the time of your arrival):
  1. Choose a filter “Free cancellation” on the left


Reminder: Free cancellation usually has an end date which is stated on the website. If you forget to cancel your booking till that time you will have to cover the cost of the booking.


  1. The choice is of the hotels is overwhelming to help you narrow your choices look at the following aspects:
  • Price – you can select a price range which is affordable for you and also you can filter the price from lowest to highest. However you need to be aware of promoted facilities, they will appear on the top of every search even if they are not the cheapest. It doesn’t mean that the promoted facilities are not worth looking into, on the contrary, it is just important to be aware of the promotion mechanism. Websites are transparent on the promotions so if you are not sure just look at the info.

  • Ratings and recommendations – ratings are guests opinions, you can learn from them if descriptions and pictures you find on the website corresponds with reality. Read this section carefully as it will give you many valuable information. TIP: if you like picture of the hotel very much but the ratings are very low – trust the ratings and look for another hotel.

  • On the tab on the left you can choose the aspects of the hotel that is important for you and narrow your choice even more. Breakfast included? Pets allowed? Kids friendly? Fitness center in the building? The choice is yours.
  1. Proceed to fill out the traveler’s personal details and book. You will receive an email confirmation with your booking, print it out, and take with you to the embassy.
  2. is the most popular however don’t hesitate to check offers on or other services.
  3. Unfortunately some embassies do not accept bookings from booking website who is an intermediary they want to see the booking coming directly from the hotel. In that case you might use one of the big hotel chains.

Embassies that don’t accept booking intermediaries: 

Biggest and most popular hotel groups are:

  1. Booking with the hotel directly similarly to and it is important to select reserve now pay later option, which allows free cancellation till certain date.

If you have any further questions, please send a mail narrating what the issue is, we will be glad to help!

Tips for the visa interview

The thought of being interviewed by a government official can be overwhelming, but
keep in mind that the interview’s purpose is simply to determine whether or not you meet visa requirements. You can set yourself up for success by carefully following our tips below:

  1. Schedule a convenient time for your visa interview appointment

Make sure that your schedule is clear for the appointment, but also take into consideration

your scheduled appointment time. Being late will increase your stress level and might affect your performance


  1. Gather the required documents

To ensure you have every document needed prepare it day before the interview. Use our Checklist to double check.

  1. Prepare for your interview with practice questions.

As you prepare for your visa interview, remember that there’s no reason to fret – all you have to do is answer the questions as truthfully as possible and provide documentation to support your responses. Preparing in advance is a great idea, as it can reveal whether there are additional documents, certificates, or records you would be wise to bring with you to your interview.


What is the purpose of your trip?

When you answer this question, it’s important to be honest, as the purpose of your trip determines the type of visa you need.  

How do you plan on financing your trip to the X country?

While there is no set amount of funds you are required to show, you want to prove that you can cover all costs associated with your trip. This may require you to estimate the cost of return travel tickets, lodging, boarding, domestic travel, and medical expenses.

To prove you have the financial resources to fund your trip, you may want to bring bank statements, credit cards, and/or payslips. A travel medical insurance policy could help demonstrate your ability to pay for medical expenses by showing that you have coverage for unexpected injury or illness.

Note that if you are unable to cover your entire trip cost yourself, you are allowed to provide evidence that another person will cover some or all of your costs. It is important you bring with you to the interview all the paper evidence in your sponsor’s names to demonstrate this claim or your sponsor’s documentation and thoroughly explained to the consular why your sponsor decides to finance your trip at this particular time as being indicated in your visa application.

Where are you going to stay during your trip?

As part of the visa application process, you should determine where you are going to stay while you are in the host country. The address should correspond to the one on your visa application. If you are going to be traveling around the country, then be prepared to provide a list of all the places you plan to visit as well as your planned accommodations.

Have you been to the X country before?

Answer this question with a simple yes or no. If yes, be ready to explain the purpose of any previous trips. You may also be asked where you went, what you did, and where you stayed.

Are you married? Is your spouse/partner traveling with you? Why/why not?

If you are married, mention the name and occupation of your spouse. If you are unmarried but have a partner, mention the name and occupation of your partner. If the spouse/partner is traveling with you, inform the interviewer of the same. If he/she isn’t, explain why that is so.

What guarantee is there that you will return home before your visa expires? 

This part is the most important factor in all visa applications. This is where most consulate officers will focus on whether you have ties to your home country that provide you an incentive to return. You can show this incentive by providing evidence of real estate that you own back home, family members you will want to return to (birth certificates and marriage certificates may apply here), or proof that a job is waiting for you upon your return to your home country.

  1. Do not get nervous, be confident

It is easy to get nervous as a lot depends on this one meeting but let your confidence shine through!

Maintain a confident posture, and look the interview officer straight in the eyes throughout the interview as well as when you are answering questions .

Greet the visa officer with a smile as soon as they enter the interview booth. Being polite always makes a big difference.

  1. Listen carefully and be confident in your answers

Take the time to think about your answer before you say it.

Make short, clear, and to -the -point replies in a loud and clear voice. 

  1. Do not tell them anything that is irrelevant

By mistake, you could give some unnecessary information that may lead to your rejection

Be polite, do not argue, and do not ask unnecessary or unrelated questions. 

  1. Do not unnecessary elaborate your responses

 This may not work in your favor it may make the things worse. Be specific and to the point.

  1. Demonstrate respect

Even if you do not feel this is being reciprocated

  1. Make sure you understand the questions

Often there may be times when you might not understand what the interviewing officer is saying because of his/her accent and/ or the microphone system.

If you do not understand one of their sentences do not feel afraid to say, ‘Beg your pardon: I did not understand you’ If he/she repeats the question, and you still do not understand, that is not a problem DO NOT PANIC. Calmly and confidently say ”sorry, sir/madam, I still did not understand you. Could you kindly repeat what you said?


  1. Show your willingness to return

Always demonstrate to the interviewing officer that you have the intentions to return back to your home country after the end of your visit or studies


  1. Be honest during the interview and whilst preparing the required documents

Always tell the truth and do not make stories up, even if they feel minor and irrelevant, as it’s sending a message that you can’t be trusted.


  1. Know details of your travel

 If you are a student, make sure you know what your admissions study program is all about and, why the education could be beneficiaries to your personal growth, the society and your contributions back to your home country. They may ask you questions about this.

  1. Dress formally

You should always dress formal for your scheduled appointment. However, your appearance should always convey who you claim of who you are in your visa application forms. If you claim to be student, dress like a student and if you claim to be an executive, behalf like one and dress like one.

If your purpose is for tourism, ensure you have a valid reason why you want to visit at this specific time, and ensure you convince the interviewing officer.

Tips for filling in the application form

Everyone knows basic rules of filling the application form:

–       Make sure all your data is up to date
–       Make sure you filled all the necessary parts and that by mistake you are not leaving the blanks
–       Double check everything

But the crucial question is what visa officer would be looking for in your application form and supporting documents?

Make sure you mention  points below as for Visa officers these points are most important:

1. That you intend to leave the host country after your visit
2. That you are genuinely seeking entry as a visitor, student visitor, or genuine traveler on whatever is your purpose of travel
3. That you are able to afford your trip and take care of yourself while there and that even if you have a sponsor, should the sponsor not take care of you, you are able to take care of yourself.
4. That you will not exhaust all your savings on the trip hence have no motivation to return back home or be tempted to seek work opportunities.

We can also benefit form mistakes done by other people, learn from them and don’t replicate it in our applications. Before you start filling in the forms learn the reasons why your visa application may be rejected. We can divide the reasons into 3 sections:  Hosts and sponsors, Purpose of the travel, Documents and finance:

Hosts and sponsors:

1.    Introducing too many relationships/people into your application. Some embassies conduct background checks on each person you include in your application and if even one of them has an issue your visa application will most likely be denied.

2.    Using distant relatives as a sponsor for your trip. Immediate family increases your  chances – mother, father, spouse, brother, sister, child

3.    If there is a significant age gap between you and your girlfriend/boyfriend in the host country, making your relationship appear more like a business relationship rather than personal.

4.    Not providing enough proof of your relationship with your foreign host. Take screenshots, print out, and attach the evidence from WhatsApp, Facebook convos, e-mails, photos, etc. as applicable to your situation.
5.    Your application does not demonstrate that your host in the visiting country has invited you to the country for the stated purpose. Let your host clearly spell out the reason why they are inviting you and hosting you in the country.

6.    Not declaring that you have a partner/spouse even though your child’s birth certificate details indicate a biological father/mother has been registered. Declare. If you two are no longer together, let the other parent write a letter of no objection that the child can travel and that you two are not together. If deceased, attach death certificate.

7.    Lack of sufficient documentation from your sponsor. Include as much as is reasonable.

è Letter from your sponsor indicating their relationship with you, why they want you to visit them in the host country, and also undertaking that they will take care of your accommodation, food, and other related expenses while you are in the country 

è Your sponsor’s bank statements for the last 6 months (must indicate salary deposits and have no large unexplained deposits)
è Your sponsor’s residence permit or their foreign passport’s biodata page
è Document evidence of your sponsor’s relationship to you

Purpose of the travel

1.   No change in circumstances since your previous visa refusal.
If your previous refusal notice outlined concerns and the documentation provided with your current application does little to address those concerns, it undermines your intentions in traveling to the country. Write a detailed cover letter explaining the previous refusal reasons, and how your circumstances have changed since then for each reason the visa officer gave for refusing your visa application.

2.   No genuine intentions to come back

3.   Not having sufficient ties in your home country
Below are some ideas for documentation you could use to prove strong ties to your home country to a consular officer.

è You have a career/ a job provide:
ü  Letter from your employer stating duties, salary, and tenure duration
ü  Pay Stubs
ü  Permission Letter for Taking Paid Time Off

è You are a student / College Enrollment provide:
ü  Student ID Card
ü  Educational Transcripts from your school, showing courses passed or to be taken in the forthcoming terms
ü  Letter from your school, stating from what date to what date you will be absent from school and when you are expected back in school

è You own your business provide:
ü  Bank Statements Showing Revenue
ü  Articles of Incorporation

è You can also provide:

ü  Family documents (spouse & kids) – It’s very important you provide your marriage certificate, your wedding pictures, and every other detail of your marriage if married. If you have kids, it’s a good thing also to present to the visa consular, full names of your kids, their birth certificates, and every one of their details that might help you to demonstrate your strong home ties to the visa officer – please, provide birth certificates of your kids, their photos and also demonstrate to the consular what your kids are currently doing e.g., if they are in school, provide details of their school’s registrations.

ü  Other Dependents documents – sick parents, or your immediate family members e.g. please provide IDs of your parents, your brothers, and of your sisters, who all depend on you for their sustenance. Please, demonstrate the assistance you render them from time to time – you could do this by providing paper evidence or receipts of the financial transactions you make to them or evidence of any assistance you give them from time to time

ü  Affidavits – attaching an affidavit that clearly states that you are obliged to return home is another good document you could provide to demonstrate your strong home ties.

ü  Volunteer Work & Organization Memberships – such as Red cross or vigilante association or landlord’s association you belong to and, documents demonstrating that you actually belong to those acclaimed associations showing your position in the associations, your roles in the associations, and how much the associations depend on you.

ü  Assets – deeds of land you own, title to vehicles you own,
bank accounts with significant balances, paper evidence of all the properties you own with your names fully stated on all of them

4.    You have not attached a letter from a university/company/board from the host country saying that you have to visit for the purpose of the trip. Attach the relevant letter

5.    You didn’t indicate in your application what you intend to do in the host or where you intend to stay in the host country. Attach a detailed itinerary with your cover letter indicating dates, cities, and the day-to-day activities you plan to engage in for every day you will be in the country.

6.     Lack of international travel history. You have never traveled outside of your country before, especially outside your continent Having travel history is crucial in your visa application. To learn how to build your travel history read the tips with the corresponding title in My Visa House section.

7.    You have indicated a super lengthy duration of stay in the host country compared to your intended purpose of visit. For example, 3 weeks stay to do a 1-day board exam. You need to be realistic or change the main purpose of your travel.

8.    Failure to declare a previous visa refusal on your visa application form. It doesn’t matter which country denied you the visa. You must declare this in your application and give a reason why.

9.    Having too many intended purposes of travel – vacation, meeting friends, doing exams, work, all in one application doesn’t reflect well on your application. Choose one main purpose for your travel.

10. Missing police clearance certificate if it applies to you.

Documents and finance:

1.   Not submitting all supporting documents.

2.    Submitted bank statement shows a number of large deposits being deposited into your account. You must provide documented evidence to clearly demonstrate the origin of these funds and whether they are genuinely available for your exclusive use or spending. Make sure to have documented evidence for every deposit into your account. If you sold a house, attach a sale agreement. If it is rental income, attach rent lease. If it is a company bonus, attach the bonus letter from the employer. Etc

3.    Providing property documents with your application but these documents do not demonstrate that you generate an income from them. Attach rental income payment confirmations e.g. bank statement, rent lease agreements, etc.

4.    Stating that you have an online business but the documents you have provided do no demonstrate this business or that you receive and income from such a business. Register your online business, attach the registration certificate, and payment statements e.g. Flutterwave, M-PESA, PayPal, etc. You can also attach a screenshot of the business page e.g. if it is Etsy for instance, show sales, and payments page.

5.    The documents you have provided do not demonstrate how you support yourself in your home country and are not an accurate reflection of your financial circumstances back home. Attach employment letter, leave letter, payslips 6 months bank statements clearly indicating salary history, business registration certificate, etc.

6.    You mentioned in your application that you have X amount of money while the bank statement you submitted had X + Y amount. Be consistent and accurately fill in your application form.

7.    No official documents demonstrate how long you have been employed by the employer.  Attach an employment letter with details of how long you have been with the said employer.

8.    You fail to clearly demonstrate your income from your employment. Make sure to attach a bank statement with salary deposits every month into your account from the said employer.

9.    The salary is not consistent with your bank statement. Same as above.

10. Failure to demonstrate savings, properties, or income. Attach documented evidence of these and if there any sudden large deposits, give a documented explanation.

11. You provide only your savings account bank statement and not the one that you get your monthly salary on so the origins of the money and expenses, etc. are not demonstrated. Attach 6 months’ salary bank account statement.

12. Your application does not demonstrate that you receive a salary. See above.

13. Your application does not demonstrate that you have any income or funds available to you or how you will maintain yourself during your trip. See above.

14. Withdrawing all the money from your bank account. Try to live within your means to enable you to have some leftover savings in your account month on month. Clearing out your account is a bad sign.

15.  Amounts you intend to spend on your trip represent over half of your declared savings or several months over your monthly expenditure and you have not shown that you are able to spend such monies on holiday. We would propose the following cost estimation:
o   An average daily expense for your trip of about N60,000 per person per day

o   Total trip expenses not more than two times your monthly salary

o   Total trip expenses not more than half of the indicated savings

16.  No leave approval letter attached. Attach the letter or include in the employment letter that your employer has granted you leave of absence from work and that you will return to your current job after your trip. Leave approval can either be a separate document or leave details included in your employment letter

17.  Not providing evidence that the business you have indicated in the application is still operational. Attach recent tax return certificates, tax compliance certificates, current business accounts, sales transaction statements, etc.

18.  Providing too many bank statements from too many banks. Clearly indicate in the cover letter that you have included the said statements if you must include all many of them.

19.  You have provided a business bank statement (from your company) instead of a personal bank statement. Visa officer unable to conduct a meaningfull assessment of your financial circumstances based on a business account only. Provide both personal and business bank statements (if applicable).

Visa Types & Specific Documents

Travel or ‘’non-immigrant as being called in the US and Canada” visas allow the bearer to enter a foreign country for touristic and leisure purposes only and stay for a predetermined amount of time. These visas do not entitle the holder to work or engage in any business activities in the host country.
Learn more
Immigrant/permanent permit visas allow the bearer to reside permanently in the host country.
Learn more
This type of visa allows you to visit a foreign country for the period of time subject to having to have invitation letter and other documents from inviting host.
Learn more
Work visas are required for individuals who wish to take on employment or engage in business activities in the host country. There are several types of work visas that depend on the nature of the work and length of stay. For example, working holiday visas allow individuals to temporarily take on employment while traveling through the country.
Learn more
A business visa allows the bearer to enter the host country and engage in business activities without joining that country’s labor market. For example, an individual may require a business visa if they are traveling to a country to do business with another company or if they are attending a business conference. The visitor typically must show that they are not receiving income from the country.
Learn more
A student visa is a type of nonimmigrant visa that allows the bearer to enroll at a postsecondary educational institution in the host country. High school foreign exchange students must typically obtain a visa for temporary residence.
Learn more
Refugee visas and asylum visas can be granted to individuals fleeing persecution, war, natural disasters, and other situations in which their life is at risk.
Learn more
Working holiday visas allow the bearer to undertake temporary employment in a country through which they are traveling. Not every country offers a working holiday program.
Learn more
Spousal visas allow partners to visit each other when the couple does not hail from the same country.
Learn more
Travelers may sometimes require transit visas in order to pass through a country that is not their destination country. Transit visas are typically required if you have a layover in a country of more than a few hours.
Learn more
An eVisa, or electronic visa, is a digital visa that is stored in a database rather than stamped or glued into the bearer’s passport. The eVisa is linked to the individual’s passport number. Applications for eVisas are typically done over the Internet and the applicant will receive a paper document to present while traveling.
Learn more